Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Happy Birthday...welcome to you, 34!

The sands of time, ever shifting, are settling me in to year 34. I went for the less diva approach this year, I wasn't above cooking and vacuuming for my own party. This is maturity, I think, maybe. 6 months ago (give or take), Brenda Danye, of Cast On fame, had a bit about beginnings....my paraphrase is "Start as you mean to continue..." This thought has been swirling around in my head....swirl swirl swirl...and for me, a new beginning is a birthday.

This year I wanted, and I want, to be surrounded by friends and family, but in a casual way. We had a potluck and some pumpkin carving. I got out all of my mini swap quilts to show... maybe it was a bit squishy, maybe all of the food got et, maybe the pumpkins were not a big hit...nevertheless I felt so welcomed in to this next year. The laughter, the funny shirts, the wall the kids made out of bricks, piles of quilts... this is how I mean to continue this year. Here is my new friend Betty. I wasn't sure if my sweet husband would succumb to my practical desires...I think that she is going to replace the broken 11 year old hand mixer nicely!
To the new year!
JMB
PS
A note on the first picture....It is not the best, but on the seat of my chair are a slew of Fat Quarters that my sister gave me. I am so thrilled. They were ones that I REALLY wanted to get the first time I went to "Piece By Piece", a new quilting store in town, but had resisted. The main color is acid green set off by a black....lovely stuff. My other sister made me a wonderful scarf, also in the green of my dreams...it is so soft and cozy....
Boy, I am really blessed in the sister department!

7 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

Yum fat quarters and a red mixer! Now who wouldn't call that a great BD? I've always wanted one of those red kitchenaids. They are like a fashion accessory for the kitchen!

Browndirtcottage said...

.....(( me.....mouth open.....singing happy birthday to you! ))

Tonya Ricucci said...

happy belated birthday! love that red mixer.

Clare said...

Belated happy birthday.

Great FQ's. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. That mixer is awesome.

Diane said...

Hey Birthday girl, it looks like you had a fine celebration! The mixer was a great gift ~ I love mine (although I wish I had the larger model like yours).

Within A Quarter Inch said...

Happy belated J.M.B.! I love where you store your mail:)

Yaz and Rob said...

Wow! Nice stuff. Now I get the meaning of the cookie making escapade before coming over the other day. It's all coming together....