Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Year.....




What to write about this year, 2007??

I don't know yet.

We are embarking upon some home repairs and updating. I think that we finally decided that we are NOT going to move for the next couple of years and so maybe we should have a home that is more functional and comfortable for our growing family.

I have lived here for 7 years, very monumental for me....I was always the "new girl" in school, I think that the longest I had ever lived in one place was 3.5 years. (Can you still think of yourself that way when you are approaching your mid-mid-thirties? I haven't even been in school for almost 10 years....time to update the ol' self image I guess.) So, yes, 7 YEARS!!!! A long time and I am still staring at the holes in the crown moulding that my lover (oooo la la, I just totally heated up this rather pedestrian blog) and I installed the first year we moved in here.

Well, I am tired of my unfinished projects. I deserve to finish them. I deserve to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. It is a rare thing around here...what might it actually feel like??
A sigh of relief?
The sweet, sweet release of the ever-growing lists of things that I have started and need to get done?

Yes, I will take one of those this year.

I would like to thank a good friend of mine for showing me the error of my ways. She will be known by her hipster name ALITHA. This summer we were working on a quilt together for a friend's wedding. The wedding was in a week and we still had a long way to go.

I was really in the mode of "finish it late, 'Biscuits and Gravy' will be so busy on her wedding day, she will never notice."

But that ALITHA, she said to me "Why wouldn't we just want to get it done, B&G will really love seeing it, it will be so special."

So, I was a bit annoyed,
How was it going to get done? Blah, blah, blah, my usual chorus for putting off for tomorrow what can be done today. And of course the only bad thing that I could think about ALITHA was....
Eeeeww, you finisher, you.

That is when I thought about all of the projects she gets done, finished, COMPLETED! We both started a log cabin quilt at the same time, like....9 YEARS AGO. Hers has been on her bed for years now, I think that she actually wants to update it......where is mine?? Oh yeah, cut up in strips, in a box, hidden from view.

Long story short, we finished the quilt and the look on B&G's face as she opened the quilt was so sweet. She loved it. It was finished. There were no loose ends, the project was off my list. A discrete check mark, one less thing to worry over or feel small about.

Thanks ALITHA!! You, finisher you.

So 2007, what about that?

Originally, I picked "CREATE" as THE word for my new year. After writing this, I realize that I am good at the "creating thing", I struggle with what comes next. And so in recognition of things that I would like to have as my own in this new year, I am re-choosing (I can do that, I am the boss of me) COMPLETE.

Because I am, and I can!

(thanks em, I needed to write.)
JMB

3 comments:

Rachael said...

yikes...so familiar! i would like to have the same goal! i was just cleaning the girls room and thinking about decorating it (we've lived here 2 years!) but i was thinking, well maybe i will save it for the next place we live - classic procrastinating - are we moving to another house? not any time soon.

emilyruth said...

so glad you are back, my friend...

& i must say on the procrastination thing...
you have given my children each a quilt
signed sealed & delivered before they were born
that is so great
add that to your list!
(of course for all i know both quilts were intended for other children years earlier:)

i love your word
i might adopt it & make it my sub-word

love you, miss
miss you, love
:)

Yaz and Rob said...

How true is that! Love the word for the year. I don't have a word of the year. Hmmm... I will have to think of mine as well.