Sunday, July 13, 2008

Projects not related to internet swaps...

I realized on Friday that I had a deadline for another show and so I got to cutting my fabric, and cutting, and cutting....and then all I wanted to do was cut more of it and more. There was crafting euphoria happening in my studio last night, what a great ride!
This is the latest, a wonky log cabin. I am not sure if you can guess the theme...maybe making it larger and then looking at the fabrics....OK, I just tell you, it is the four seasons! It is pretty obvious, but I like it. I LOVE sewing up my stash. I had this epiphany the other day, I think after listening to CRAFTCAST. Here it is folks... THERE WILL ALWAYS BE MORE FABRIC!!! Again, pretty obvious, but to a fabric hoarding, yardage miser...Pretty enlightening! In the CRAFTCAST episode, the decoupage artist Durwin Rice, was talking about how he had to just get rid of some of the TONS of his stuff in order to free himself up to do new art. Oh yea...get me on that train, cutting in to the stash and not worrying if I used up was somewhat EXHILARATING! I just kept thinking that I never had to see that piece of fabric languishing on the shelf again...with its thready selvages and awkward wrinkles. Now I can just admire it in a finished piece, where I think it looks far superior.
Did I mention that my sister didn't kill any plants while I was gone and we were having 90 degree days?? She rocks! I moved her in to her first apartment on Wednesday and I am so excited for her to continue to grow up and reach new adult milestones.
My garden is looking so luscious...I will put an update up later this week. I was sitting out on the patio (concrete slab) the other afternoon and maybe 6 feet away a tiny humming bird was sipping out of my Montebretia. It was so magical and I just felt so lucky that my sister took such good care of my flowers. Thanks sister!
JMB

5 comments:

Lily Boot said...

Hey! That looks like you had a great time! And what a darling little quilt you have! I love your wonky shapes - they are so energetic and really call out, rather than lie there sedately. I also loved your description of tired stash fabric with its wrinkles and thready selvages. Hope the euphoria continues!

Tonya Ricucci said...

whee, sounds like a fabulous ride, USING the fabric - woohoo!

Rebecca said...

love your wonky log cabin, too. bet i can find all sorts of lovely projects of yours that i like!

susan said...

oh i love your mini quilt
i knew right away it was the four seasons. pretty fabrics, and i agree, use that stash!!!

Yaz and Rob said...

Ahhh, I love your concrete slab on a nice summers eve. I didn't realize Molly had "just" moved in when we returned. What do ya know....